• Heartwood: The First Generation of Theravada Buddhism in America. Chicago : The University of Chicago Press (2005).
•Forthcoming (2006). "Constructing Buddhism(s): Interreligious Dialogue and Religious Hybridity" with Courtney Bender. Sociology of Religion.
•Forthcoming (2006). "Religion and Public Opinion about Same-Sex Marriage." With Laura Olson and James Harrison. Social Science Quarterly.
•Forthcoming (2006). “Religious Service Attendance Among Immigrants: Evidence from the New Immigrant Survey Pilot." With Elaine Howard Ecklund. American Behavioral Scientist.
•Forthcoming (2006). “Religion and the NonProfit Sector.” With Robert Wuthnow. Handbook of NonProfits. Edited by Walter Powell and Richard Steinberg. New Haven: Yale University Press.
• 2006. “Ascription, Choice, and the Construction of Religious Identities in the Contemporary United States.” With Lynn Davidman. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion.
• 2006. “Making Sense of Suffering and Death: How Health Care Providers' Construct Meanings in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.” With Elizabeth A. Catlin. Journal of Religion and Health. 45:2.
• 2004. “Gendered Religious Organizations: The Case of Theravada Buddhism in America.” Gender and Society. 18(6), December 777-793.
• 2004. “Buddhists and Buddhism in the United States: The Scope of Influence. With Robert Wuthnow.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. 43(3): 361-378.
• 2004. “Yoga and Rebirth in America: Asian Religions are Here to Stay. With Courtney Bender. Contexts: Understanding People in Their Social Worlds. 3(1): 45-51.
• 2002. “Vital Conflicts: The Mainline Protestant Denominations Debate Homosexuality.” The Hand of God: Faith Based Activism and the Public Role of Mainline Protestantism. Edited by Robert Wuthnow and John Evans. Berkeley: University of California Press.
• 2002. “Conceptualizing Your Community-Based Learning Project: Decisions for the Initial Stages of Project Design.” With Marion Carter, Estella Rivero, and Sara Curran. Teaching Sociology. 30(April): 158-173.